VALVET blocks L2 Tube Pre Amplifier
VALVET blocks L2
Long-term, consistent pleasure
A simple, well thought-out circuit, short signal paths and the best, most reliable components guarantee that your favorite music reaches you directly, thus producing long-term pleasure and satisfaction! Employing valves in this circuit is not the norm in other brands. The design was chosen because with only one amplifying component per channel there is less technology to interfere with the music.
Sensations from the tube
The L2 Preamplifier operates with just one dual triode of the Type 6SN7 per channel. The circuit topology employed has a number of advantages: low distortion without feedback, excellent linearity and (for valves) low output impedance. With an external power supply (as standard with valve rectification), hum interference is ruled out. The inputs are switched using a precision rotary switch, and all signal paths are hand-wired with pure silver. The volume can be controlled by remote (Alps motorized pot).
- inputs: 6 high level inputs (RCA), input impedance 100 kOhm
- amplification: 10x, maximum output > 10 Volts, output impedance 2.5 kOhm, 2 outputs (RCA) (either OUT + REC or OUT 1 + OUT 2 for bi-amping)
- dimensions: 445 x 45 x 230 mm (17.5 x 1.8 x 9 inches) WxHxD - Pre-amp;
120 x 60 x 320 mm (4.7 x 2.35 x 12.6 inches) WxHxD - tube power supply
- remote control: yes, volume control
- volume control: Alps motorized potentiometer - optional 24-step switch (no surcharge)
- case: black powder coated, steel base plate, the rest aluminum
- front: 10 mm, silver anodized, deep chromed brass at extra charge
- sound: not the dull valve sound of the 50s; but open, clear, dynamic with an impressive bass and gorgeous timbre
- optional: 24-step resistor-ladder switch, WBT NexGen $75.00/pair, Chrome front $150.00, metal remote control $250.00
Review of L2, E1r and A3.5 MkII on the German web-zine "HIFI Statement" 07/2013 Amre Ibrahim:
"...we cannot thank Mr. Cornils enough for enriching the world with high-end components such as the Valvet E1R, A3.5 MKII and L2. At a time when many amplifiers are beyond the financial reach of the average consumer’s purse, he provides an impressive counterpoint with unusual approaches to development and robust Made-in-Germany fabrication: absolutely consistent, highly musical audio components at an affordable price. More, please, Mr. Cornils!"
- read the entire review
- or here for original German
"...I heard the L2 for the first time today. Outstanding preamplifier! The L2 sounds fantastic, and the fit and finish is amazing! I could not be more pleased!"
"...as for the preamp (L2): It sounds as I anticipated, from knowing the circuit topology and tube, but better. I can tell it will take a little while for the silver signal path to mellow a bit. No problem, I can hear through that. The parts and build quality are high, the preamp is dead-simple (which is as it should be) and the signal paths internally are short. This is a well-thought-out and well-built gain cell. The L2 is tonally vivid and dynamically spectacular, and it doesn't smear or confuse massed details on crescendos. Even loud strummed guitars are projected with a first-row, string-to-string transient clarity without dissecting the chord. Massed voices blend summed power with easily-recognizable individual character. The top end is extended and clean, and bass reaches deep with full tonal definition right to the bottom of an instrument's range. It's also a remarkable preamp for spatial projection and its ability to preserve the layering of events and sounds in the depth axis, with the 2D soundstage quite convincing. I know I must hear a Soulshine if this is the middle range."