Scansonic MB6 B Floor-stander
Sorry, this product is temporarily out of stock.
The MB6 B is the Scansonic flagship speaker. Tall, slim and elegantly curved it follows the core of traditions in Danish loudspeaker design.
The design is centered around the ultra light moving mass sealed ribbon tweeter, that has unique speed, resolution and dynamic transient capability. This makes for a very transparent and highly detailed reproduction of the finest details in the program material. The tweeter is crossed over to dynamic driver array at 3 KHz.
The MB6 B boasts a powerful lineup of 6, 4,5” carbon coned dynamic drivers, arranged in a power sharing line array. The inner pair of the driver covers the midrange up to where the tweeter takes over and as you move out from the center the driver cowers more and more of the lower registries. In the deepest bass the line array boast a total membrane area larger than a 12” driver, but still with the speed and agility of the smaller drivers. This makes the MB6 B have outstanding capabilities even in the deepest bass. The MB6 B is an incredible music performer with an impact an authority the will leave you breathless.
Size: (WxHxD) 280 x 1410 x 410 mm
Weight: 36.5 kg
Freq. response: 27 Hz - 40 kHz
Impedance: > 4 ohm
Crossover: 250 Hz + 2600 Hz / Minimum phase
Enclosure: Curved, heavily braced, ventilated box design with adjustable aluminum feet
Drive units: 1 sealed ribbon tweeter with kapton/aluminum sandwich membrane 6 carbon coned 4,5” driver (2 midrange / 4 bass) with overhung magnet system!
Finish: Black-silk or White-silk
Amplification: We recommend high quality amplifiers >50W
Dominique Mafrand of Haute–Fidelite (Aug. 2016) wrote:
"...we must confess that having experienced the physical elegance and musical agility of the Scansonic MB 2.5 speaker columns, we were skeptical that the creation of a more ambitious model (the MB-6), apparently based on simply increasing the number of woofers, would make any sense... however, appearances were misleading , and to our pleasant surprise we found that the Scansonic MB- 6 offered not only all the outstanding elements of the MB 2.5 (plus more woofers), but also an additional solidity in the foundation, optimal power-handling and a more solid and stable impact..."
CLICK HERE to read the entire review (in french)
Placing your Scansonic HD Loudspeakers for Optimal Performance
Though rear-ported, your Scansonic HD are easy to place in your listening room. Please follow these simple guidelines:
- In general, Scansonic HD like to be placed far apart, but relatively close to the listener. - Assuming your room can accommodate such placement, Scansonic HD like to be placed approximately 9-12 feet apart (measured from the central, vertical axis of the speaker drivers).
- Imagine a line running left to right from the front of one speaker to the other. This is the lateral plane of the loudspeakers. Now, from the center-point of this line (i.e. halfway between the left and right speaker), place a measuring tape perpendicular to this line, running perpendicular from the lateral plane of the loudspeakers and aiming towards your listening position. Your listening position should be directly on this line, approximately 6'-8' from the lateral plane of the loudspeakers.
Let's start by adjusting the speakers for the proper tonal balance...
- Scansonic HD need to be placed at least three feet from the back wall, i.e. the wall behind the speakers. Place the speakers at least three feet from the back wall and at least nine feet apart. Using a piece of music with which you're familiar, and which has significant bass content, move the speakers front and back until natural, powerful bass is achieved.
- Next, vary the distance between the speakers and side walls. This will allow you to adjust mid- and high-frequencies for proper balance.
- IMPORTANT: although Scansonic HD MB-series loudspeakers need to be placed several feet from the back wall, as described above, they can tolerate placement within a few inches of the closest side wall. Don't be afraid to experiment with such placement of speakers, as spreading the speakers farther apart and therefore close to the nearest side walls is often essential for best spatial performance.
Now, let's dial-in the speakers for best spatial performance, i.e., image focus and soundstage width...
- Scansonic HD speakers like a bit of toe-in. Aim each speaker so it points just to the outside of each shoulder, i.e. the left speaker should be aimed just to the left of your left shoulder, the right speaker aimed just to the right of your right shoulder.
- Once aimed per above, adjust for best compromise between image focus and soundstage size. Increase toe-in to achieve greater image focus, increase toe-out to enhance soundstage width. You may also want to move the speakers slightly closer together or farther apart and assess the effects upon image focus and/or soundstage width. Please note: very small movements of an inch or less can have a significant impact: proceed slowly!
- As per our recommendations included in 'Tonal Adjustments' directly above, Scansonic HDs can be placed within a few inches of the nearest side wall (This is a unique attribute for a high performance loudspeaker). Experiment with moving the speakers farther apart and closer together and choose the location that achieves the best tonal and spatial performance.